PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1947 Pattern Flying Wings
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 20:17
dragon166

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for your views. I already knew all the details of the Aircrew Rank system badges, most of which are in my collection and the 1947 jacket, which I also have in my collection. All I wanted to know was why the badge is worn as it is in the photo because, as I said and is shown in the above pic, I had only ever seen this badge worn on the upper Arm. The gold embroidered wings were introduced in 1947 to accompany the jacket as mentioned. In the 1950s they reverted to the standard pattern when the 47 jacket proved unpopular. My question was if this type of badge was worn by NCO aircrew as well as Officers. Having looked more closely at the photo it would seem that he is wearing an officer quality uniform, albeit with the white cadet patches on the shoulder. This method of indicating Cadets at OCTU began in 1947 and was phased out in 1952 so yes, the photo could date between 1947 and 1950,when the NCO Aircrew Ranks were scrapped and reverted to standard ranking.

In case anyone doesn't know the uniform talked about in this post I have attached a pic of it.

Last edited by dragon166; 23rd May 2019 at 22:14. Reason: extra info