PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing admits flaw in 737 Max flight simulator
Old 23rd May 2019, 16:51
bill fly

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Statistics

Sorry, I don’t buy that graph. Too convenient. If we have over 7 billion people in the world and just over 50% are in working age, and there are 300,000 odd pilots in the world, then there is one pilot per 14,000 people roughly - a small number, even if the figures are da-neben.
Let’s say there is a similar graph of 7 odd billion people. Where do you put these few pilots on it? And I am talking about selected airline employed professionals.
What do you measure on such a graph?
Intelligence? Co-ordination? Leadership? Team spirit? Drive? Fitness? Imagination?
All these factors bear on a pilot’s suitability as well as other, conflicting things such as:
Ability to concentrate on an item vs ability to keep the big picture
Ability to stick to procedure vs ability to throw away the rules and improvise
Ability to command vs ability to take advice
Ability to insist vs ability to be patient.
Ability to consider carefully vs ability to act fast
and many other conundrums which don’t mean you are especially clever - but suitable.
If you could quantify and measure all those qualities I very much doubt you would get a nice neat rounded peak for the general population as you would for an intelligence alone graph and even if you did, if you take a bunch of people out of it and scan them, the shape of the new graph would depend on where they were on the old one. Still a nice hill in the middle? I don’t think so.
Now about getting a licence - that is one small part of getting an airline job - one which you have to have but not one which will cause an airline to take you - they are looking for the items above.
So to design a machine for anyone who has managed to get a licence is not what is required. The operative word is professional. Design a machine for the pros and train them on it, then you will have safety.
Anyway the Jodel is a good ship - and as we know old men think there are lies, damn lies and statistics! ^_^
B