PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ANR
Thread: ANR
View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2019, 14:43
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stitchbitch
ANR doesn't stop high frequencies, these can damage hearing.
Ah, now I understand. There really isn't that big of a difference between modern, well-fitted, ANR headset technology and CEPs. That doesn't mean there is no difference, nor, more importantly, does it mean that all ANR earcups and headsets are well-fitted. However, given proper attention to detail there is generally only a 5dB difference, give or take, at the higher frequencies, which is not a huge amount.

People often have better results with CEPs because they are almost always well-fitted by definition. Comply Foam earplugs automatically expand to provide consistent and repeatable sealing of the ear canal. The same is not always true of earcups providing a reliable and consistent seal against the head. (BTW, Comply Foam earplugs consistently outperform custom molded earplugs.)

Of course the best answer is "use everything". CEPs surrounded by ANR ear cups surrounded by a helmet is the best answer. This can be well approximated by wearing regular foam earplugs under an ANR headset (and helmet, if worn). However, the highest performing solution is not always the most convenient nor the least expensive. There are many pilots, including myself, who will choose convenience over performance.

FWIW, in my flying I use either a DC ONE X or a Clarity Aloft, the latter being a CEP headset without the ear cups. They both work similarly in terms of noise reduction. The Clarity Aloft is super comfortable in the summer time, but not as convenient as the DC's. I ought to try putting in a set of foam plugs under the DC's, but sometimes I'm afraid I won't be able to hear potentially scary noises good enough.