PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightspeed Tango ANR Headset (LEMO) in non-panel power aircraft.
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:16
PPI Zulu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightspeed Tango ANR Headset (LEMO) in non-panel power aircraft.

Hi Y'all,

Does anyone currently have an Lightspeed Tango with LEMO panel power that they sometimes use with an adapter in a non-panel power helicopter(s)?

I'm in the market for an ANR headset and have paired it down to three or four; the Tango being one of them. We have a fleet of aircraft where most are fitted with panel power. However, a few aren't fitted and the company, which doesn't offer an ANR solution, won't fit out the non-panel power frames due to expense. Many of my colleagues have moved over to ANR (almost exclusively Bose A20) in a desperate attempt to mitigate hearing loss and tinnitus. All Bose A20 wearing colleagues carry this adapter to use when in a non-panel power aircraft as the battery in the A20's down-lead 'panel interface' takes over.

However......

Lightspeed themselves tell me that I would need a powered adapter like this one in order to make the Tango work in our normal U174 connected aircraft if using an adapter. Why have a battery (in this case a 3.7V rechargeable lithium ion battery) in the 'panel interface' at all if you are going to have it not 'take over' (like the Bose A20 does) in the event of a power failure or if LEMO isn't available? It would appear then that it simply becomes just a battery charger, which I guess is a good back-up for the headset battery if nothing else.

From Lightspeed...In the LEMO plug configuration, the Panel Interface unit does provide you with an additional battery that will charge inside the unit. However, it will not supply power to the panel interface should you use a difference plug style. Our headset is not designed to opt in/out of using the battery despite the change in the plug style like the Bose.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you,Bethany RobertsonLightspeed Sales & Customer Support Team

Last edited by PPI Zulu; 26th May 2019 at 10:56. Reason: Spooling!