PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 23rd May 2019, 00:09
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Back to the switches for a moment. The RH switch wiring shows a little more complexity than simply a series backup toggle. Bear in mind, a million posts back, someone said each switch was 'dual gang' - but even so, the toggle lever could just fail* Anyway two it is. If only . . . if ONLY, Boeing had said, Now, this is what MCAS is, and this is what it does, If you don't like it, the right hand switch will turn it off. Leave the left one on if the wheels have stopped spinning and you want to be able to use thumb trim. IF only.

As it is, the left one still cuts all power to the horizontal stabilizer motor/clutches - even if we'd dearly love our thumb trim switches to still work.

Remember, the column pull back (hidden) rear switch still allows MCAS. It's been rewired to the point one pundit described it as no longer being there on the MAX.

A CB in a crisis? Okay if it's pre-flagged in red and in reach. Don't want to be twisting our spines when all kinds of g forces are being applied to our bodies. And certainly don't need to be looking in books of instructions on how to fly a plane. FFS, resorting to check-lists before quick memory actions would be unconscionable. It is the most powerful flying surface and even I know how it works learning with one foot in the grave.

I have every understanding that the bizarre circumstances diminished the crew's abilities, sad, but many top guns on here have eventually admitted that they may well have not known what's going of for those first few minuets.

It's vital 'we' know how anything connected to that 47' 1" tail works . . . and what every relay does, and as I've said before, know the importance of system interactions - the hardest part of any course for me - and I'd come off an electronics workbench to fly.