PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in South Africa - PPL(A)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:13
Leezyjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Future 73 Pilot
Flight schools won't rent you their aircraft. Google will advise you with regards to companies that do rent out. Asking for insurance advice on a forum is not advised, get into contact with the company and get the info from them.
Good day sir.
Utter tosh, ignore this" just joined to make that post advice" that`s kind of the whole point of a forum to ask for and receive information and advice..

I did my ppl in SA and took a couple of UK ppl holders down to fly, although it was in 2008 so my info may be out of date. Back then You needed to do a standard club check out as you would anywhere, and you also needed to sit the SA air law exam too, so worth brushing up on that as there are a few subtle differences to the UK. SA was a little more advanced than the UK even back then, and the tests are done online with instant results and if you fail, you can resit it again either later the same day, or the next day. My friends didn`t need their own insurance, it was all covered by the club as you have to join the flying club, and thus become a member so are covered.

There is a guy in the UK called Irv Lee who was/is one of the few qualified SACAA certified instructors based in the UK, so maybe worth trying to get in touch with him to see if he has any more up to date information than what I have.

If you have time and/or get the chance, you could catch a flight down to Port Elizabeth and fly out of there. My old School was the Algoa Flight Centre/Algoa Flying Club based at FAPE/PLZ and they are used to having foreign pilots go over to hire.