PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing admits flaw in 737 Max flight simulator
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:17
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
My bolding in above.
One of the criticisms I see of the ET crew is that they did not first trim with electric trim before using cutouts as hinted at in the Lion Air triggered emergency AD.

It is not clear whether lack of manual trim after cutout was due to lack of familiarity with the flip out handles or aero loads or both.
Something had to be happening in the period while electric trim was disabled, we don't know what since the CVR transcript has not been released.
The implication of your post is that the 737 pilot is happy to accept a significantly out of trim aircraft.
What was being assumed is that an experienced pilot would not let the automatics whatever they were put the trim where they didn't want it.- so when the Stab Trim cutout occurred there would not be a large out of trim condition to wind back.

There is also a lot of confusion between 'manual trim' with the column electric trim switch and manual trim with the non-powered trim wheel.