PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GPS Mouse BU-303
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:29
FullOppositeRudder

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Thank you for the update. You mentions screen scrapes, but I've not been able to see them.

Almost all the programs I have used in my GPS adventures have been free. USB GPS devices usually have to identify through a COM port which the drivers for the device should establish. My hunch is that you are almost there - you just need to find the com port which has been assigned to the USB device. This assignment often seems to be the result of a random number generator among other mysterious factors - one of my computers discovered the GPS on COM port 32!

The free program offered on this page will scan all of the available com ports on the machine, looking for NMEA sentences trying the usual com port speeds, and reports when it has found one. I can only add that in my experience, sometimes these devices work almost straight away; in others it can be a frustrating search for the right configuration. The most frustrating exercise has been trying to get a Garman Glo Bluetooth device to perform as is should. Windows XP and 7 were mostly co-operative. Windows 10 proved impossible and I walked away from the experiment. Only recently did I discover that drivers critical for the operation of this device were not written into Windows 10 and it's more or less common knowledge that the combination is a no-go. But I digress (again) ...

Good luck; I've a feeling that you are very close to the success you expect.

Last edited by FullOppositeRudder; 22nd May 2019 at 11:09.