PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airshow related accidents
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2019, 09:04
atb1943

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wub
I witnessed and filmed the Fairford and Paris incidents, luckily with no fatalities but saw the Starfighter crash at Yeovilton. These things leave you with a sick feeling in your stomach. In the background on my Paris tape, a voice can be heard saying “Did he just hit the ground? Bu@@er, my kit is on that” It was the marketing guy from BAE Systems who had just installed an IN system or some such.
In his initial thread query, g-kest mentions the two Spitfires that collided (over Fleet Hants) and which I witnessed. I don't believe they were connected with an air show, rather an inter-service goodies vs baddies. But I stand to be corrected.
A few I might mention are Le Bourget, the Tu-144, the Mig-29, the A-10 and I believe hearing about a Fiat G-91 a few years earlier, told me by an ex usaf chap who was on duty at the time and who had just vacated the area it came down in.
I might also mention a Canadian F-104 at Frankfurt, one of four, one without tip tanks, that had problems, wanted to return, but came down near the football stadium, wiping out a vicar and his family in their car. And a Harrier near Aschaffenburg (of which I also have a slide but little detail).

Not forgetting the loss of Stephen Piercey and his Flight pilot friend at Hannover whilst on a photo shoot with a Beech (1900?), and a little-known incident also at Hannover of a certain Shrike Commander pilot trying out his same skills in a Sabreliner and finding it not quite suitable...the result of which I also have as a photo somewhere. I knew the owner, or let us say the person in whose name the aircraft was registered, and am still in contact with one of his co-pilots.
best regards