PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So you need a new fleet Leigh?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2019, 05:43
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ECAMACTIONSCOMPLETE
“Six years to command at a lower rate of pay, rather than 15 years on better conditions as an SO, which would you choose? I don't think it is any big secret that all the Qantas group entities are losing pilots to mainline.”

I’ll take the 6 years to command any day of the week!!

There are 1000 pilots at JQ and I can assure you that most have no desire to go to QF and be 15 year SOs.
Yes, I have absolutely no issue with that choice, it is fortunate, that, at least there is a choice. If being an SO for 15 years isn't attractive, the 737 RHS 4 leg days are on offer in every East Coast base at better than JQ pay, yours to be had. Yet mysteriously, even 6 month new joiners are able to get these positions at any base they choose, but don't seem to want to take them in the required numbers. The market decides!

The point I was trying to make, is there is a tradeoff, quick promotion, or better T&C, but you can't have both. In order to attract pilots to take the delayed promotional career risk something else has to be on offer. At the moment, that is exactly what is happening, mainline has sufficient applications of experienced pilots. However, If career prospects disappears, they will just be like everyone else scratching for crew.