PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 20th May 2019, 23:53
danak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up A few questions before i make the big expensive decision

Hi guys,
From the age of around 5-6, I have always wanted to be a commercial airline pilot, its always been a dream of mine, yet I have always just considered it a dream, as I always knew my family would never have anywhere near the required funds to support me.

I recently have decided to look into becoming a pilot now that I am at a point of fairly high earning, with the possibility to pay over the next few years while training,
I'm absolutely hooked, for the last couple of months, I have gone to bed dreaming about being a pilot, and waking up thinking about it.

I am going into my mid-twenties, and considering buying a house with my partner, I have recently discussed with her that I might consider spending my savings, and working a lot harder to try to fulfil my dream as a pilot, yet shes very considered and worried about if it does not work out, as we will still be renting a property and be in our late 30's, this has made I have to consider this decision a lot.

My questions! :

1)
When I was at high school it was a very bad time for me, my mother was very ill, and my mum and dad were going through a divorce, meaning my dad had to work nearly every hour to try to get himself another property to live in.
So I had a very bad experience in school and ended up working 3 days a week, and doing school one day a week, I left school with little to none GCSE's, do you think this would be a major issue for me?, and if I was to go to college to sit GCSE'S, would a airline consider this as a bad thing?, thinking I was unable to complete school normally, and had to retake at college?

2)
I am self-employed, and earn a relatively high rate of pay (approx £3200 p/month) I live in a very expensive area of UK meaning that a large portion of this going on housing and general day to day living,
I would still have to work a lot while training to pay for the majority of training, I am wondering if somebody else has done that in here, and would be able to share their struggles, is it possible?, is it worth waiting around 5years to save up for a integrated course instead of doing modular at a slower rate? or is it possible to do it while still maintaining a good amount of work time, (obviously taking time off around exams).

Thank you all for reading the post!

any other suggestion's and or advice you can give would be gratefully appreciated!