PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2019, 21:36
skyman771

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PorkyPig76
Does anyone think Newcastle will get any new routes soon and has anyone heard any rumours? With the speculation over new share holders maybe this could happen. Would love to see some long haul routes, does anyone have any news/speculation over them?
These are difficult times, reality is that if there is not much money about in the UK as a whole, there is even less in North East and disposable incomes are under increasing pressure. Against this is a background of rising prices & poor exchange rates.

As pointed out by SWBKCB many routes have been & gone, & as to what's changed in the market in recent times I'm afraid is little to be positive about.
NCL are trying to retain & "grow" >5M pax p.a. which historically has been around the ceiling in numbers.
Does this not suggest that an increase offered by a new route simply causes a reduction in others i.e. a substitution effect?, as I've already said there is insufficient money in the local economy available at this this (& any??) time to support further growth in air traffic.

Finally it may be a worthwhile exercise for those of you who continue to dream up or reiterate unsubstantiated rumours of new destinations to take time out and list all the routes that have "been and gone" over the past 15 or so years. You should then look at the annual pax that used these routes , add them all up & just say take 50% you would come up with a figure in the millions no doubt. You should then ask yourselves where have all the pax gone, when in real terms most haven't gone anywhere, they have simply switched and now support those routes that are currently on offer!! while those that have, simply "take the train" to London & Manchester on which routes traffic growth continues.
It's all very well to attack the current management as to their performance in the short term, making ridiculous wish lists of destinations offers zero help to anyone.