PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomas Cook-2
Thread: Thomas Cook-2
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2019, 20:58
ATNotts

Received 292 Likes on 163 Posts
The short haul IT market this years looks tough. Generally, the whole of northern Europe had a long hot summer last year, and the stupid amongst the population will undoubtedly be thinking something along the lines of "it was nice at home last year so we won't book abroad this year (because it'll obviously be a cracker of a summer again in 2019)". Totally irrational and illogical of course, but I remember it happened after 1976 as well!

Add that to the (and I'm not making a Brexit point here) uncertainty that was around in March in UK as to if when and how hard Brexit would be at the end of the month, many people, me included just didn't make any forward travel arrangements. I now have, but I wonder how many people decided to give abroad a miss this year because of that cock up. And to think the same mullarchy could happen again this autumn.

Thomas Cook are suffering, TUI are suffering, and I think Jet2 may well have a difficult year in 2019 - especially the latter as they are very exposed indeed to the UK market.