PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Resisted Pilots Calls for Steps On MAX
Old 20th May 2019, 20:23
Lonewolf_50

Received 415 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose rivets
This is the warning that's not activated unless you've paid $80,000 for the AoA upgrade, is it?
Why that isn't/wasn't standard equipment is the question I want answered, from the PoV of pilot/training concerns.

@PJ2: as ever, great input. (Bolding Mine)
In fact I think we might find more in common regarding our views on system complexity because I don't think he would disagree with the fundamental requirement for thorough, validated training and checking (auditing), and the old principle of knowing one's airplane as thoroughly as available manufacturer information permits.

I know very well that it is not possible to know one's airplane at the nuts-and-bolts level, nor is it possible for anyone, let alone pilots, to know that software, like an algorithm, is 100% predictable and reliable under all conditions. As pilots, we operate far above that level, using software-engineered solutions as tools that are expected to work all the time. Pilots should never be expected to be the troubleshooters of bad sofware design.
Yeah, that last bit is what the test and evaulation phase is for.