PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Terrain Watch
Thread: Terrain Watch
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2019, 18:06
Prangster

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Terrain Watch

When GPS systems first began to filter into GA cockpits I noticed a sharp increase in GA aircraft being caught out by the terrain just north junction 27 of the M1. My house was situated on well camouflaged ridge, A sister property proudly supported a plaque telling one and all that 'this is the highest point in Nottinghamshire'. The plaque said 604ft and the OS map 640. As usual some oaf added a comms mast so I suppose overall 700' would be about right. Its amazing how the built environment can mask what the terrain beneath you is actually doing. In 1945 a Stirling bomber hit the ridge killing all on board and it would have been more visible then than now.

Some discussion ensued about my theory that GPS to GPS forget the map lets have a rest might not be too far off the mark.

We are now some years on and I don't live there anymore so ridge dodging GA aircraft had slipped my memory.

Until today. Driving past the 'ole homestead a light aircraft suddenly popped into view engine howling as the pilot realised the predicament he'd just flown himself into!