PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing admits flaw in 737 Max flight simulator
Old 20th May 2019, 15:40
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simulator stuff...

The crux of this discussion revolves around the simulator accurately representing the aircraft.

How does any simulator do that?

Well, firstly it starts with DATA. Any simulator is essentially constrained to operate within the 'box' defined by the data provided by the airframe manufacturer as part of the data package.
(There is one caveat surrounding upset and recovery training, as recently introduced, which typically is based on engineering data or similar).

However, there is also the issue as to whether the simulator manufacturer implemented the data correctly. Aside from engineering simulators within Boeing (of which I know nothing), there are five Level D 737MAX simulators that have been certified - four manufactured by TRU Simulation + Training and one by CAE which I believe is currently operating with a Level C certification.

Was adequate data provided for the trim wheel loading? My guess is the data for the trim loading at high speed was NOT provided at low altitude at very high speed...

I suspect that is true of all simulators, whether 737MAX. NG or whatever.

- GY