PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet time to Command and bases
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019, 19:04
EcamSurprise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UberPilot
The base captain is over seen by the HQ in Luton. All command interviews are follow a 'Standard' format now - if you study and put the expected effort in then you will encounter no problems or surprises. The whole process is well documented and if you seek feedback from your base you will know exactly what each phase entails. Yes, some will give you a bit more of a grilling, but I have yet to hear about someone who worked hard, was a god pilot and had a good attitude who was stopped in the process.

If you are not yet a Captain then a few years in eJ as a co-pilot gives you time to absorb the company procedures, see how eJ Captains perform in the sim and prepare yourself. The DEC recruitment and selection rate is pretty low; by numbers alone far more Co-pilots are recruited than DEC. I wouldn't suggest that it is easier to go to a 'quick upgrade' outfit and then expect to stroll in as a DEC at all - the good times are almost over and expansion looks like it's slowing down already. Remember, eJ only tend to take DEC if they cannot promote from within, bar a few base specific exceptions.

As regards Italy, MXP and VCE have longs lists as the contract and tax arrangements in Italy are very favourable. Don't expect DEC in Italy any time soon, or ever I would suggest.
Agreed.

The company are no fools. You only get in as a DEC if you meet the standard, fit the mold and there is a (usually rare) space available for a DEC. Not many people pass DEC assessments.

BCs do have a say but it’s overseen by Luton and follows a standard procedure. It’s not easy but they expect you to put in the work. Don’t forget too that BCs will have listened to feedback from other line captains with regards to the applicant in question. They have a very good picture both officially and non-officially as to the standard, mind set and how ready an FO is for command overall.

It’s perhaps hoops to jump through but so there should. easyJet is not the place to come for a quick and easy command. You have to earn it.