PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet time to Command and bases
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019, 16:09
tomuchwork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Denti
If you have the hours, the much easier route is to get a command elsewhere and then apply as a DEC. That is a lot easier to do than the internal upgrade process which can take quite a few years and is ultimately in key moments completely dependent on the likes, dislikes and sometimes flawed understanding of company procedures. Especially the base captain, who does not need to be a trainer, has a very important role to play, without any real oversight at all, basically, he determines the fate of every first officer and is the ultimate power in his base.
Sounds pretty exactly like it is in RYR. So I second your suggestion to get external command and join as DEC. Seems they really push it during the upgrade(as RYR does), just to read that even a psychologist needs to see you sounds quiet "over the top". They know you already for a couple of years, why would you need that. Anyway.

Agree absolutely as well about the role a BC can play(and I have seen some of them already destroying FO's careers here in RYR). All in all a lot of "if's".

I am happy that I did my upgrade over 20 years ago. Easier, more "normal" times back then for a pilot. There was still an appreciation for common sense and good airmanship over guys that are just good in knowing SOP's. Well - water down the river.

May I add a short question? Myself being a tiny bit(not really a lot as after RYR I really do not need another overegulated operator from one of the 2 islands) interested in Easyjet - BUT only on italian bases. I think there is Milan(which would be my #2 choice) and Venice(#1) - don't really know if they opened another in Italy. Seems impossible to get a direct DEC job in one of the 2 mentioned bases? Is that correct?

If so there is no need to attend any assessment because I do not fancy Berlin or Portugal(which seem to be the only places a newjoiner may go).

Thanks for any reply.