PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 18th May 2019, 15:51
L39 Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smythe
Sorry, but the STS runaway for the NG is not the same for the MAX due to the differences in the functionality of the stab trim switches...

also note that in sim testing, even at 250 kts, the manual trim wheel would not budge and they had to roller drive the ac to move the stab...IF that is the case with the MAX, that is a problem and outside of STS procedures, no?
True about the differences in the functionality of the trim switches however the emergency procedure is identical, i.e. turn off both switches, is it not?

I can't speak for the simulator, its manual trim system and its fidellity but how do you explain the Lion Air incident crew (the day before the accident) being able to manually trim with the trim wheel after switching off both stab trim switches and flying for 1 1/2 hours to the planned destination and landing? Or do you think they strong armed it for that hour and a half? I suspect that they were able to crank the trim wheel.