PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 18th May 2019, 15:48
gearlever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by L39 Guy
Really? Show me where in the Boeing manuals that a Stab Trim Runaway is a case where the trim runs continuously to the limits of the jackscrew?

And how, as a pilot if you are a pilot, are you to determine if the trim reaches the jack screw or not? I would also suggest that any competent pilot will react to a trim runaway long before it reaches the jack screws.

Or would you just watch it run continuously, pitch the nose down 40 degrees then wait until it stops (at the jack screws if you determine that) and then say "This must be a stab trim runaway as I think it has now reached the jack screws".

Or would you just watch it run continuously, pitch the nose up 40 degrees then wait until it stops (at the jack screws if you determine that) and then say "This must be a stab trim runaway as I think it has now reached the jack screws"

Or would you cut the stab trim out after maybe 5 degrees of nose down (or up) attitude and recover

I know what I would do.

According the the NNC, a Runaway Stabilizer is defined as: Uncommanded stabilizer trim movement occurs continuously. STS is commanded trim, for those that are shown it in training and is a perfectly normal trim response. How do you define continous? 1 second, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, a 60 seconds?

As far as educating myself on the trim system, I have 16 years of B737 experience. How about you?
The trim is always via the jack screw, isn't it?