PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 18th May 2019, 10:32
BluSdUp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironbut57

I was just about to post a basic fact, and then You beat me to it.
It is like this:
At one point sooner or later speed hast to be controlled and if the stab is so out of trim that pitch up and climb is not possible to control speed, power to idle is next.
On the 737-800 the nose drop is pronounced , but manageable.
The MAX has less as the thrust line is higher.

Regardless of initial nose down pitch you need to get speed back to the 270- 220 range.
So:
Idle
Full speedbrake
Pull like the Dickens and the speed WILL slow down, and the aircraft becomes easier to control and trim.
( I would even consider the gear, but lets keep it simple)
Keeping 94% N1 flat out , level will most likely give close to supersonic speed with M-buffet ,Tuck under and what have you.

The multiple false statements that reducing power is not an option is just ridicules.

With regards to blaming different " Pilot cultures" for this mess, I think that is a rather weak defense for a inherently flawed design.

We all have choices to make now that FAA is about to approve the patch.
I hope the major N-CAAs and EASA can see that this aircraft can not fly without aerodynamic modifications.
If they feel lucky and certify it, at least a two hr sim session MUST apply in a full MAX sim.

I for one am looking forward to fly it, but there is no way I will be a pax or deadhead in it.
I always knew the 737-800 had its killing corners which we trained , but letting this one loose is a pure gamble.
In my educated opinion.

Regards
Cpt B
737-800

Last edited by BluSdUp; 18th May 2019 at 10:36. Reason: clarety