PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019, 10:16
WINJA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by balusnomore
Winja,

best not get into a "pissing contest" as to who is better or not, leave that to to arguing about the Rugby......

BUT, to bring balance to the PNG/FIJI argument, I'll bring up TRIPELAPIDGEON (POST 1401) post....

"In addition LVO autoland on a non LVO runway by non qualified LVO crew in an airline not approved for LVO is not only tacitly approved by the fleet office at PX but actively encouraged."

The Fleet office consists of two, a Technical Manager who is also the Senior Check Captain (a Fijian) and the Fleet Manager (non Flying position an expat who spent many many years years flying 737's in Fiji). They were the management group presiding for both incidents being discussed...the fatal one at Chuck and the most recent "unapproved Auto land incident.

ANG was overseen by a series of CASA guys who were Fijian, some who have returned to Fiji. BTW Fiji Airways has just hired two extremely capable PX 737 Captains, who cut there teeth on places like Hagan

Wing, every nationality has their Aces, Great, Good, Average etc, and I never took it that Office Update was implying Fijians were any different to any one else...just that ANG was getting some pretty green pilots onto it jet fleet.
Not a pissing contest, just a bit of balance, it's not the Fijians fault, they applied for jobs, went through the recruitment process and were offered jobs. If you don't like what you see, take your concerns to the appropriate chain of command rather than shooting the pawns.
​​​​​It's been many years since I flew in PNG and following this thread sort of confirms that some things don't change. The bravado and probably, the risk taking more than likely remains. Only the aviation authority which was then dominated by Australians and Kiwis seems to have changed. I'm retired now after a long career that started in Australia, PNG, Africa and Europe, so could easily be accused of being an armchair pilot. And yes after Australia, PNG certainly is a shock, but realistically it isn't as challenging as those trying to justify their position or stance would like to make it out to be.
However you guys need to take a deep breath and work with your managers to rebuild your situation, put your airline back on the right path. That takes flixibility, a much easier and productive way than the battle that you seem to be in now. The court case seems to be history, time to change tact.
​​​​