PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Completed my First Solo Today
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2019, 07:19
Bravo Romeo Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations Mr Orange, and may you have many more successful flights. I did my first solo on April 1st (fools day!) 3 days before my 17th birthday. It was at Archerfield near Brisbane which was then an all over grass airfield, and the aircraft was a Tiger Moth (DH 82). The procedure was for the instructor to get out of the aircraft on the field, remove his joy stick (control column sounds over the top for a Tiger) and seat cushions, fasten the harness then wait on the grass for the student to pick him up after landing.

As others have noted the climb performance improved vastly without the instructor's weight, and I felt no nervousness - as is known 16 year olds know everything and can do no wrong! It all went well until i turned onto final and noticed a fair crosswind which was not evedient on the last circuit with my instructor. Then I saw an aircraft taking off in another direction, so I went round and joined the circuit in that direction - followed by a reasonable landing. Then I felt the excitement and satisfaction. I picked up my instructor and then back to the parking area.

There were 6 of us on the same course and one of my friends on the course was sent solo the next day - it was memorable because in the excitement he forgot to pick up our instructor who had to walk all the way back to the parking area carrying the seat cushions and waving the joy stick in a very threatening manner. You could hear him swearing from 300 m away!

That first solo lead to a most satisifying career in aviation as a pilot, ATC and consultant until I retired last year at the age of 79. I feel a quiet pride in our industry, and wish everyone involved success and a good life in no matter what your job is in aviation.

Last edited by Bravo Romeo Alpha; 18th May 2019 at 07:21. Reason: spelling