PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 18th May 2019, 05:45
MemberBerry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry for the off-topic post, but I'm extremely saddened when otherwise rational and intelligent people seem to suddenly throw rationality out the window whenever their favorite political team becomes part of a discussion. And this applies to all sides of the political spectrum.

As an example I'm an EU citizen, and I was discussing a health care related issue with a friend, and we reached the same conclusion, without any disagreement whatsoever. Then I mentioned the political party he voted for had a completely different opinion regarding that issue. He went "Actually...", and suddenly started finding excuses for that political party's position regarding the issue.

I'm probably guilty of this as well, probably sometimes even without realizing it. The first instinct when I hear something bad about my favorite political party is to defend it. Which can result in something similar to confirmation bias. I know it's not always easy, but we should try to let facts and logic and not emotion guide the conversation.