PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Resisted Pilots Calls for Steps On MAX
Old 17th May 2019, 23:03
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian W
I am a little confused. If you find that the trim is regularly winding nose down then stopping then more nose down then stopping - do you check that no NNCs apply (Runaway Trim says _continuous_ and what is happening is _repeated_ see the thesaurus) so just let it continue until you and PM are both pulling hard with feet on the instrument panel. Or do you like the captain of the penultimate Lion Air Flight trim back repeatedly and when it seems that there is a trim problem switch off stab trim (even if prompted from the jump seat)? Indeed even the final Lion AIr flight the captain was doing the same it was only when control was handed to the first officer that control column trim was not used to return the aircraft to trimmed flight.
Y
In other words do you only respond to aircraft faults if you have NNC for them? Is this your company trained approach to problems - ignore them unless there's an NNC which fits precisely?
This notion of needing to be an Oxford scholar of English semantic grammar is absurd. Continuously means “it keeps doing it. “ Whether it stops for a second and then does it again - it’s still continuous.
“ my wife nags me continuously “. She presumably stops to draw breath? But it’s still continuous. Indeed continuous enough to kill you if you don’t stop it. It goes beyond the language in NNC though. You have to have systems knowledge to know that a STAB trimming forward ND over and over is continuous enough to kill you. It’s extremely basic knowledge. And you can’t let it get away from you. So you counter trim nose up continuously until back to neutral trim and switches off. That’s it. Now that the poor guys flying these two didn’t know this maybe, is a training issue.vlearly the one that got away did know. From the 707
to the 737-800 NG we were all taught that stab trim is a killer.