PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing Resisted Pilots Calls for Steps On MAX
Old 17th May 2019, 22:11
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EIFFS

Well I have both the current NG & MAX QRH in front of me and both state “continuously” and that is at the root cause here.

I have flown classic, NG & MAX over the last 14 years and have never experienced a stab runaway other than in the sim and my expectation would be that it was running continuously, we are aware of the STS trimming the aircraft as it accelerates or decelerates, so I wouldn’t initially at least have given a second thought to the first inputs by the MCAS and with most being new on type would probably put any difference down to the type.
I am a little confused. If you find that the trim is regularly winding nose down then stopping then more nose down then stopping - do you check that no NNCs apply (Runaway Trim says _continuous_ and what is happening is _repeated_ see the thesaurus) so just let it continue until you and PM are both pulling hard with feet on the instrument panel. Or do you like the captain of the penultimate Lion Air Flight trim back repeatedly and when it seems that there is a trim problem switch off stab trim (even if prompted from the jump seat)? Indeed even the final Lion AIr flight the captain was doing the same it was only when control was handed to the first officer that control column trim was not used to return the aircraft to trimmed flight.

In other words do you only respond to aircraft faults if you have NNC for them? Is this your company trained approach to problems - ignore them unless there's an NNC which fits precisely?