PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How to avoid CFIT
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2019, 13:41
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Scifi, you started this thread by presenting two possible escape manouvres, based on your experience with model aircraft. Please keep in mind that the power loading for a normal GA type aeroplane is vastly different from what you see with a model. Because of this, the available authority from, for example, the rudder is vastly different. And that's before we get into the available margins in the structure with regard to G-loading. All this will be worse if your trusty Cessna or Piper is loaded with a full set of adults and a bit of baggage. From straight and level flight at 100kt, you will be able to apply a fair bit of bank and pull the yoke into your gut, but that is the absolute limit of what I would attempt were I to be faced with a situation as you describe. The next thing I would notice would be the ASI needle heading towards the minimum value on the scale.

I concur with ShyTorque, keep those two phrases in mind at all times, thinking at least one problem ahead. I've been fortunate to have done most of my flying over a very flat landscape, and because of this I have absolutely no plans to venture into more rugged landscapes without a serious bit of preparation. I know that I'm not equipped for that kind of flying, so I either stay away from it or will take someone along who does know the gotchas.