PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US administration blames foreign pilots for 737 Max crashes
Old 17th May 2019, 06:50
Yobo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHBM
I wonder why the Foreign Pilots are not crashing the A320s or the A320 Neos ......
"Thank God we're in an A330, eh?"

So said one Pierre-Cedric Bonin.

Now for the second bird with that one stone, perhaps Airbus might not want to sell aircraft to Air France, since only God knows how many Bonins are flying their aircraft.

And for the idiotic let's all blame Trump and the Repubs crowd:

“This is an example of a win-win situation where the people of the region are going to be able to benefit from an outstanding airline,” President Barack Obama said in 2011 when Lion Air Group signed a $22 billion order for Boeing planes, the largest single order in the manufacturer’s history.

So where we're you when it came to blaming ole Obama for that sale in light of Lion Air's rather pathetic history? Don't bother answering. I mean, he's lauding the sale in light of: Over the years, Lion planes have collided with a cow, a pig and, most embarrassingly, each other. Two days in a row in 2011, Lion planes skidded off the same airport runway. Can't post a URL but there is a 2018 NYT piece on Lion Air following the 737 Max crash that indeed details the rather pathetic history.

Now for why you sell the planes and never mind the safety history:Barr, the USC safety instructor, said even equipped with the best planes from Boeing or Airbus, airlines still must provide routine maintenance and highly trained crews to operate safely."It doesn't matter how good the plane is if you give it to a bunch of mechanics who don't know what to do or to a bunch of pilots who fall asleep in the cockpit," said Barr. Kinda like this:

One of the latest problems was aboard a Jet Airways flight in August from Mumbai to Brussels that plunged 5,000 feet over Turkey with one pilot asleep and the other busy with an iPad. Nobody was injured.

By the way, since I mentioned the late Pierre-Cedric Bonin, to give him some small measure of relief, that accident does not happen if the flight was during the day. A look out the window would have told him that he was not flying but instead falling. And, yeah, generally safe, and then there's the money, but one wonders what some think of those WWII stories where trained pilots crashed at night, inverted, into the sea. Maybe that its better to fly during the day? And so interesting that such wasn't a causal factor in the report, when it very clearly was. Oh, and did I mention as well, generally safe, so 1 in 1 million flights in the developing world we have a fatality whereas 1 in 23.9 million in the developed world, or so wrote the one MIT statistician who examined the data. And some of the developing are worse than others, so sub-Saharan Africa the worst and so on. Hello Ethiopian Airlines. And another bad spot, consider Lion Air in the NYT piece. Not just them but that part of the world. I'd also avoid India and China like the plague. Well, all of India except for the one biggie, and in Lion Air's part of the world there's always PAL. The difference between the two isn't the corruption and/or love of money, by the way, as the difference is instead that PAL flies to LA, SF, HNL, Vegas, Newark, NYC and London Gatwick and Heathrow while Lion Air doesn't. So PAL has to play by our rules.

Originally Posted by 413X3
This administration is an extension of Boeing and the acting defense secretary about to be nominated officially should have told you all that. draining the swamp!
"For the last several days, I've been talking about how we have to make sure that we've got a presence in this region, that it can result directly in jobs at home," Obama said in a statement. "And what we see here -- a multibillion-dollar deal between Lion Air -- one of the fastest-growing airlines not just in the region, but in the world -- and Boeing is going to result in over 100,000 jobs back in the United States of America, over a long period of time."

The largest sale of aircraft ever. What were saying then?