PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vale Captain T.X. Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2019, 07:16
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry to hear of the Good Captain's sad passing.

Many a 'doggo' - that's the back o' the clock' to most G/A pilots - was spent listening to his dulcet tones in amongst the 'snap/crackle/pop' of the HF long range network, trying to get his call in between the resounding crashes of the various Ts / lightning noises of the time, and the numerous SELCAL tones being transmitted, and being interrupted by some 'dick' on a 'private' joy flight of some sort who just wanted to do his 'own thing' 'his' way......

Mr 'All Stations' and the Good Captain both became rather despondent when, on 12/12/91, the first 'cut' was given to that Ole FS Network, and suddenly, there were less of them to provide the necessary 'Listening Watch' that Mr All Stations and the Good Captain was accustomed to. This was before the age of CPCLD Mk 1, or whatever it was called at the time, and was the ONLY way to communicate in times of trouble......

The local VHF net suffered for a while as well, until it was re-allocated to the hard working ATCers of the time, who had to answer all and sundry - 'when workload permits' - and they tried to answer the Captain's every call, but then even that became 'overpowering'.

The 'short / sharp / standard' phrases of the time had become lengthy epistles you see, and nobody had the time nor the inclination to listen to them.
All that was required was the 'bits' of data to be written on the FPS - That's Flight Progress Strips - of the time.

So the captain and his colleagues were forced to call 'in the blind' on some 'universal' frequency that others were supposed to be listening to, but alas...…..

So, the last I heard was that the Good Captain had become more than a little despondent in his 'elder years' and simply 'went fishin' - to protect his sanity - I heard...…

R I P Captain.