PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Completed my First Solo Today
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2019, 15:54
Steve C64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too 'went solo' last Saturday, but only after 8 lessons beyond when I could have done, given the right conditions.The crosswind element limit of 7 knots in a PA28 had really restricted the opportunities for it to happen until now , combine that with the low cloud, rain and availability of the right instructor to 'send me off.' We'd done everything else possible ,including the 2 hours instrument familiarisation, landing and take off at another airfield , nav exercise and so on. Loving the PFL's though, that gets the blood going!

Finally, last Saturday, things aligned for the three-in-a-row verification landings, right up to the point where the crosswind bust the limits again before i'd even started!
We did some practice circuits nonetheless, as it had been a while, but cut the lesson short and went home to try again another day. However, it wasn't long before the phone rang and I was back to the airfield for a second session when the wind had swung around and back in limits. First of three and...the wind came back again!
Still having fun, so went for an EFATO, a Go-around , a glide to land (love those, always my best landings for some reason?) and a couple of standard circuits buttoned away to land and taxi in....a few short words later and out he got! The wind had been fine for each of the preceding circuits and was still fine apparently,so off I went.!

Climb out to 500ft was quick , 800 soon after (are instructors that heavy, or is it the weight of experience ;-) ?) Then crosswind leg, turn, call downwind 'Student Gold Sierra Alfa' (love the student thing !), BUMPFITCH + L turn base, throttle back, first and 2nd flaps , turn final, call final, bit of turbulence, drag flap, 70ts, over the fence , threshold, flare a little left rudder to kick off the crab (wind's back then) and down.... a bit flat, but ok. Vacate runway, after landing checks, call tower for taxi clearance and ....that's it then?
They're congratulating me on the radio, but it was only on the long taxi back that things began to occur to me.as having passed the Solo milestone. Especially when the instructor, usually in the right seat of course, was then standing outside the aeroplane doing the marshalling arms thing !

I seemed to miiss it all somehow, but rather that, I suppose, than remembering it for more eventful reasons! It was a long time coming and, actually, it just needed to be done, one way of dealing with it I suppose and I come the moment I barely even thought about it..

Post solo though: it's a great feeling and I'm re-energised for the next phase. Loving the journey and I'm soaking it all up as I go.
Life long ambition - Mid life reality

Last edited by Steve C64; 15th May 2019 at 15:11. Reason: Edited for a few spelling mishtooks and stuff.