PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career in EK or work for regional in the USA? Help me guys.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:32
bafanguy

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gtseraf
as an observer from a different part of the world, approaching the twilight of a flying career, I would suggest you try to have a look 20 to 30 years ahead and ask yourself where you see yourself then.

The idea of flying widebodies on amazing routes to interesting destinations is attractive. However, being away from home for most of your life, being so tired when you are home, that you cannot give your family the attention they deserve/require very quickly makes this kind of lifestyle unattractive. AFAIK one cannot settle permanently in Dubai (without a job there), so you will probably need to move from there when you leave the company.

Just be careful, if in 10 or 15 years time this lifestyle becomes unbearable, you will be competing with 29 year olds for legacy jobs and you, in your mid 40's will have lost out 15 years of seniority.

When the time comes to hang up the headset, the banks will not be prepared to accept "great memories and experiences" as hard currency, all they want to see are $$$ in your bank account.

At 29 a long term decision does not appear to be too important, but in the seniority driven industry, it can make a huge difference.

I reckon the US hiring boom has a finite life and, IF you want to end up flying for a legacy carrier in the USA, the sooner you get into the game the better.

Dont' be blinded by a quick command to a fancy widebody and, an apparently easy lifestyle. Anecdotally the desert is not the cruisy lifestyle you seem to be envisaging. Plan long term but enjoy your life while you are positioning yourself to achieve these goals and be flexible, life throws an amazing amount of curved balls, be prepared!

Good luck with your decision
gtseraf,

Speaking with hindsight from the front porch of Ye Olde Pilot Home, you are spot on with your commentary.

You, Sir, are a wordsmith.

I would only add that one should trust no airline along the way.