PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2003, 15:12
triadic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snarek

The average cost of buying a 'cheap' Txp is $2500. Installation is about $3000 because of stupid CASA requirements like 'drawings' and 'electrical load calculations' and 'CAR 35 approvals'.
Never paid that much ?... is yours gold plated?

I personally doubt that compulsort transponders in E will get up, it isn't US NAS, so why the change. Either that or E will be limited to 8500 and it will be G below that unless 'on top' of a C.

There are no winners in a mid-air collision. If having a transponder in any airspace places me on someone's TCAS, I am all for it and will gladly have a transponder installed and operating. I have one in my a/c and gladly keep it serviceable and switched on for all operations and I am not based in radar coverage.

AOPA have previously agreed to transponders in E and I don't see they can back away from that position just because it is not a requirement in the USA. In this day and age, it would be irresponsible to do otherwise. As a member I would lobby strongly to keep that policy in place.

You should be aware that ICAO already have a standard which provides for transponders in all classes of airspace for all those aircraft with the power to drive one. Both CASA and the NAS IG have turned a blind eye to that so far. If we are going down the international harmonization then how can we not heed that?

I still believe that the issue with NAS is education and not the package. No commitment to enough over a long term seen to date…. but still watching….

no known traffic...