PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Completed my First Solo Today
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 18:58
MrOrange

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Completed my First Solo Today

After carrying out circuits for the last few weeks, my instructor put me with the CFI today with a view to sending me for my first solo. After a few circuits, I was sent on my way all on my own which felt quite intimidating. Anyway, I carried out a normal take off, turn to downwind etc. When I turned onto base, I did encounter a bit of a case of nerves, my approach ended up a little fast and I flared a little early resulting in a bounce on landing. The bounce felt pretty high and I felt it was safer to go around. The second landing attempt had a similar result. On the third attempt, my approach was too high and I ended up with a decent landing on my fourth attempt. I was told I could have landed on the first two attempts if I just kept the nose up, but as I was on my own, it felt like the more comfortable decision.

Anyway, I was surprised I needed quite a few attempts to land in my solo as a nailed most of the landings with the instructor for the previous couple of sets of circuits... some with a light bounce, but not too bad.

I was wondering how other people's experiences were; did you encounter any nerves? Did you feel you did better with another person in the cockpit with you?