PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - updraft and downdraft landing in summer (Cessna-152)
Old 12th May 2019, 17:45
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by B2N2
Talk to your instructor ......
Again, agree with B2N2 and GiveMeABreak - I'd really talk this through with an instructor before you try anything. After all, you say you have recently moved to Las Vegas .... the instructors will have been landing in these conditions for years! "Now I can't wait to test it!" is a nice way to bend a plane to be honest (and frighten an Instructor!) if they are not expecting it! I've subsequently mainly encountered rotor at various locations and am always keeping an eye out for such conditions. Personally, I always fly high for anticipated rotor conditions on approach - but your condition is different.

I've removed some of the dross from my last post (I can witter on!!! ) but the point worth hanging onto is such things can get out of hand real quick. In my case, my height above the undershoot that day saved a crash! But that was in my scenario. If you are not sure, talk to local Instructors even if you are qualified. That's (a) what they are paid to explain/demo and (b) I always saw a student asking questions as being a someone who was ahead of game so less likely to kill me.

Cheers, H 'n' H