PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who Speaks for the Dead ?
View Single Post
Old 12th May 2019, 13:42
racedo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Thanks Racedo, and I agree about the wriggle room effect. Nonetheless, the RAF High Command is in contravention of the Covenant, or its Duty of Care as I prefer to call it, by continuing the cover up of illegal orders and actions by some of its predecessors and that led to the deaths of approx. 100 people in airworthiness related fatal military air accidents..
The problem with taking action against this is that ALL the services will be impacted and it will show that there are officers who ignore direct orders and do their own thing. There would be two outcomes from this
1.) Officers will refuse to act in case they up on a CM unless it is a clear and direct order with zero ambiguity
2.) Officers will act even when order is incorrect and then go back to the "I was following a direct order" when challenged.

You then end up with a risk averse culture of people being too scared to act even when action is correct.

Witness what has occurred in Local Govt, culture is risk averse and it requires a committee before action, this didn't happen overnight but took 15-20 years to get there. The people 25 years ago who would act have retired and moved on, people replacing them are schooled in the "no risk and decision making culture". Danger is military would end up same way .