PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2003, 13:35
brianh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'M COMFY WITH IT ALL

Got the charts today - found the area freqs OK on the ERC - VTC no problems - VNC less info but that's why I carry the ERC.

We took a GA8 Vic to Archer recently to support the ferry back of a Tiger Moth. Effectively ran radio silent except at GAAP/CTAF/MBZ just to simulate a NAS trip. Used AERIS/AWIS for QNH and weather. Luvverly trip - no problems, no near misses.

When I go back to my statistical training, and probability theory, and look at the daily volume of traffic outside the Terminal Areas, there is more chance in open space of winning Tattslotto than an air collision.

If high speed RPT is entering CTAF perhaps a call at 10 miles on the CTAF is appropriate - leave the other COM on the area freq.

I operate at a CTAF on the very border of ML RAS with people coming at it on different frequencies. We have ultralight users, powered hang-glider, ultralight and GA training and movements, fly-in restaurant, non-radio aircraft, and parachutists. When I was learning, the then CFI was a barsteward for operating no radio and scaring me witless - I continue therefore to support the see and be seen concept ahead of guys using radio for a crutch. Interesting actually how the radio calls seem to be modified when jockeying for circuit positions by some - eg those who call downwind when 5 miles out!

I have a couple of queries in with the NAS people. Other than those trivialities, I am happy to give the NAS a genuine go and feedback any concerns.
Brian H