PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 MAX future
Thread: 737 MAX future
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2019, 20:45
edmundronald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Driver
In this operator's opinion, certainly not shared by all, the "AOA Disagree" alert that has captured so much attention is not that bid of a deal. If the AOA's are really that far apart, there will be sufficient other indications because of how the AOA information is integrated into other aircraft systems. In the case of both Lion Air flights and ET302, an active stick shaker while the aircraft is accelerating and climbing normally is the big, annoying, and very obvious indication that something is amiss with your AOA system - and that becomes active as soon as the aircraft lifts off the ground
SLF, PhD, engineer here:

Are 737 Max crews going to learn to respond to that "Special AoA stick shaker" via an iPad briefing? Because it appears simulator training for the Max pilots is excluded ...and I believe pilots are educated to know that stick shaker usually means low speed or stall, so now the stick shake signal is ambiguously getting overloaded with a second semantic.

Also don't you pilots think that having the stick shaker go off quite soon after you clean up and are accelerating (!) is a bit confusing at a moment of fairly high workload, and resolving the semantic ambiguity - AM IS STALLING OR IS THIS JUST AoA DISAGREE? - carries with it a non-negligible chance of startle factor, non-optimal pilot response, and then PIO or even as in the case of two Max airframes uncontrolled flight into terrain and grief issues for a number of families?

Is this fix really a fix without sim training?

Can one really say that with this fix the Max is sufficiently identical in behavior to the NG that neither the pilot training nor the type certificates require updates?

Edmund

On reflection, rather than making an ass of myself talking about stuff I don't know, I think from now on I'll watch this from the sidelines.

Last edited by edmundronald; 11th May 2019 at 21:04.