PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2003, 12:25
eta23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The day the glider contest I was referring to went to Laughlin was the day the radar was unavailable because of scheduled maintenance. This was briefed before takeoff. So much for the fast movers relying on the radar service. They use it when available and operate without it when it isn't.

Ok our use of the airspace is "unique". Lets see - we fly aircraft in it and it has about the same pressure, density etc as anyone else's air. This is unique?

If we aren't getting the US system then what pray tell are we getting?

As I understand it we are getting the US system at a level appropriate for our traffic densities. About like around Resume Speed, Idaho.

As for lack of radar coverage - whenever I fly the bugsmasher in the J curve the transponder seems to be getting interrogated most of the time. When it isn't it's awful lonely out there back of beyond.
The only reason you think pilot to pilot communication on an area frequency works is because we don't have much traffic. Get enough traffic and it rapidly stops working. It is meant to be radio alerted see and avoid not radio arranged separation after all.

While we are at it if you guys flying 3rd level airlines and IFR twins want radio useage how about getting some good radio systems? The worst ones I hear are on this class of aircraft.