PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 MAX future
Thread: 737 MAX future
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2019, 00:15
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
At the end of the day, MCAS will still be able to make inputs to a 47' flying surface. We read that these commands are to be substantially modified, fine, but still that black box has the potential to house HAL. Just how does one construct an impenetrable wall that will stop millions of junction gates from a catastrophic conspiracy - one that no one has filtered out of thousands of lines of code - one that won't show up for months or even years? My feeling is that its connection to the stabilizer should be totally removed and do nothing but warn. But then of course there's STS, MCAS's senior logic layer. That's worked okay for years but it's the sheer power of that flight surface that makes my aged sphincter-system lock up.

Even the basic premise seems bizarre to me: in certain circumstances we want to stop the elevators becoming steadily lighter, so we pitch an entire aircraft nose down? Height, flaps zero, AP off, speed within range and a complex system of relays etc., should all stop that signal going to the tail, but the potential for unwanted activation is hard wired into that aircraft for life.