PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US PPL based on UK Licence
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2019, 16:53
ASRAAMTOO

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
US PPL based on UK Licence

Hi Folks,
Once upon a time I had a bit of paper issued by the FAA that allowed me to fly PPL in the USA based on my UK ATPL. Following 9/11 and the fact that I now have a EASA ATPL I understand I need to re-do the process. Unfortunately the guidance on the FAA and CAA websites seems somewhat out of date.

I have sent the SRG 1160 verification form to the CAA and paid my £46, I have the FAA form 8060-71 ready to go but need to state which FSDO I plan to use prior to sending in the form. As I am visiting the New Jersey area in June I contacted the Teterboro office to make an appointment. Unfortunately I was told that " we no longer do this" contact a DPE. Just up the road is New York where I got essentially the same reply.

Both offices have a list of DPEs on their websites although it is not immediately clear if ALL DPEs can do this or indeed what fee (if any) is payable.

So, a couple of questions: If a DPE can do this are there any in the UK that can. If not does anyone have any experience of doing it via a DPE in the States. For a service that was formerlly free from the FSDO I have heard rumours of some alarming charges by US DPE for the signature.