PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - updraft and downdraft landing in summer (Cessna-152)
Old 10th May 2019, 14:29
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My take, and I hear what Pilot DAR is saying so I just give my opinion FWIW, would be to fly a standard descent (or even ever so slightly high) rather than a flatter approach (and I understand why you suggest that Pilot DAR re flaring I guess - but read on...) as, if closer to the ground, you have less time to react to a downdraught or other issue. No screaming dives - on or slightly above the G/P, that's all. And, as Pilot DAR says, if it gets "interesting", go around [early?] and sort it out.

I digress - back on Topic! My qual for all this advice/suggestion? 1st flight as a PPL with my 1st wife (now ex-wife ... but not due to this incident!!!) landing into unexpected but, with hindsight, entirely predictable rotor off sea cliffs upwind of the runway. Unlike you, I ended up with full power, aircraft sinking still - hence my comment about keep on G/P (or a tad higher) and wondering "What the Hell????!!!". I, to this day, have no idea exactly how I got it down (I had no go-around capability by then as was at full power and still sinking rapidly!). Once I'd pulled off the runway and asked ATC if I could hold where I was for 30 seconds or so (basically, so I could stop shaking!), I clocked the issue, realised that, by sticking with a rapidly worsening situation, and not going around as soon as I'd started encountering (having encountered it it was too damn late!) a real "Oh, oh!!!!!" moment, I'd rapidly got myself into a one-way ride over which, fortunately, the plane itself seemed to have some control over. The flight back was uneventful, especially as I'd found a local and had a quick chat about the conditions. "Don't worry lad, you found all the sink at the threshold - you'll be fine until you reach the cliffs - when you'll climb like a rocket!". He was spot on - but I was waiting for it - and that bit was quite fun!!!!!

Enjoy your flying JK! You've done the right thing seeking suggestions. Locals especially, are always glad to help. Sadly, stuck in Blighty - long way from Vegas!

Cheers, H 'n' H

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 12th May 2019 at 17:47. Reason: to remove some dross!