PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - updraft and downdraft landing in summer (Cessna-152)
Old 10th May 2019, 11:00
Juno Kim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face updraft and downdraft landing in summer (Cessna-152)

I recently moved to Las Vegas.

It's pretty hot during the day already. So, even tho the wind is calm, i am experiencing updraft and downdraft especially when I land the airplane (C152).

I think I can manage updraft pretty okay. Just keep pitching down for the airspeed and reduce the power and maintain the altitude.

Still, my problem is about the downdraft. ( i am not even sure it's downdrafts.) yesterday when i was practicing landing, my airplane sink so fast with 1700rpm. So I had to add up more than 2200rpm to maintain the glide path. And I don't know why but even tho I added up so much power still, my airspeed was stuck at 60kt (which is my approach speed). so I think my approach was pretty nice. But the problem started at roundout and flare.

My airplane constantly ballooned or floated long when i reduced the power and initiated pitch level attitude at the roundout point. (i had no floating or ballooning issues during the weather was chill in here). I think it was because my power setting was too high. But i couldn't even hold my glide path without such a high power setting. That means, i have to maintain my high power setting until the roundout point.

Also, my airplane drops too fast when i idle the power ( still the airspeed remained relatively high even tho i maintained my approach airspeed 60kt)

My IP said i was pitching level and reduce all that power too aggressive when I am leveling my aircraft. But i think that was not the only problem that caused ballooning and floating.

Do you have any tips for improvement?