PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 06:30
blind pew

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Dual control rates

I only flew one jet which had different control systems / forces which was the DC10. We were only allowed to fly with CWS engaged although we flew a demonstration circuit at base and practised on the sim in manual.

In the 90s I modified a 17m phoebus C sailplane by putting a large lump of lead in the fin which moved the CofG to it's aft limit.
Flight test off a winch on a wet winters day required landing on 3m wide peri track. All went well until I flared, which I generally did late, the tail skid smacked into the concrete and I found myself 3m off the deck. (Change of effectiveness of all moving tailplane).
Fortunately I knew and had taught many what to do in a bounced landing having learnt the hard way on my first solo on an aircoupe which I attempted to destroy with a pio followed a few years later by dropping the oxygen masks and failing a couple of flight control valves on a jet.

The video appears to show that its yet another accident whose roots stem from system design, lack of understanding and training standards.

I lost a very good friend in Britain's worst disaster nearly 47 years ago. Nothing has changed nor will it until piloting is treated like a profession, rather than a job, and minimum standards are raised.