PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger missing in Mexico
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 14:29
RAWLAW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hawk76

I understand what you are trying to say, but the Pinnacle CRJ accident was not CFIT. Due to crew error, neither engine was operating, thus it did not constitute controlled flight. Given the apparent flat attitude of this Challenger accident, I doubt it was CFIT, either. More likely Loss of Control Inflight.

I found a definition of CFIT as “In-flight collision with terrain, water, or obstacle without indication of loss of control.”
I agree that CFIT literally stands for "controlled flight into terrain" so maybe my argument ends there however it is entirely true there was (apparently) nothing wrong with any of the aircraft crashes you have pointed out. As opposed to the National 747 in Afghanistan that had a load shift then crashed. As opposed to the Russian crash landing earlier this week. Yes, airplanes collide with terrain also when the crew have lost total situational awareness. I am not so sure however that the statistics that we often refer to (CFIT being the highest causing accident factor) may in fact include accidents like this. Anyways we are really getting way off point. This crew knew where they were. It looks like too high, outside the envelop, ensuing stall and no recovery. The Challenger becomes a rock without hydraulics (no hydraulics, no flight controls) which they had none unless the RAT was deployed which would give them 1 of 3 systems back plus essential AC/DC. I cannot fully recall but I know that would give them a rudder and I would think half aileron/half elevator. I really don't recall.
Its a tragedy and in our profession we especially do not tolerate self-made tragedies thru ignorance or non-compliance with the rules. It should have never happened.