PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger missing in Mexico
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 11:08
hawk76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAWLAW
Yes I do mean CRJ. Yes the circumstances are both dissimilar and similar. Either way the aircraft was out of the envelope. The outcome was the same weather they glided, almost restarted an engine or could not restart. The CRJ may have been able to get the AOA back to a flying angle, the 601 looks like they didn't. Neither had a mid-air, loss of pressurization (initially and root cause) or in-flight fire. Both had if you will "controlled flight into terrain (CFIT) which technically means there was nothing "wrong" with the aircraft. Your point is valid but really the cause and effect are the same at this very early view.
I understand what you are trying to say, but the Pinnacle CRJ accident was not CFIT. Due to crew error, neither engine was operating, thus it did not constitute controlled flight. Given the apparent flat attitude of this Challenger accident, I doubt it was CFIT, either. More likely Loss of Control Inflight.

I found a definition of CFIT as “In-flight collision with terrain, water, or obstacle without indication of loss of control.”