PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 04:51
kerzha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Native Russian speaker, not a pilot, so please forgive my ignorance of standard operating procedures and terminology.

RBC, which is kind of like the CNBC of Russia is reporting that the pilots failed to turn off the engines after the landing. They were on the whole time until the firetrucks put them out. As to why the firetrucks were not deployed, earlier - perhaps this is noteworthy. Baza.io has the transcript of comms between the pilots an tower. While the pilots declared pan-pan, they said that they did not require assistance. Here's the crucial bit:

Диспетчер: Аэрофлот 1492. Справа курс 160. Какая-нибудь помощь необходима будет?
КВС: Справа 160. Нет, пока всё нормально. Штатно. Аэрофлот 1492.
Диспетчер: Только проблемы со связью, вас правильно понял?
КВС: Связь и потеря автоматического управления самолётом.
Диспетчер: Вас понял.
Translation:

Dispatch: Aeroflot 1492. Right heading 160. Will any help be required?
Captain: Right 160. No, everything is fine at the moment. Ordinary. Aeroflot 1492.
Dispatch: Only problems with communications, do I understand correctly?
Captain: Communications and the loss of automatic controls.
Dispatch: Understood.
There's a seating chart out there which i'm not allowed to post. You can find it by going to the site pikabu which one user posted earlier and it's in the comments there. On the left side of the plane, some people survived - 13B, 15B, 18A. Everyone else in rows 13 thru 20 perished. Row 11 all gone too.
The passenger in 18A apparently bolted to the exit after the first bounce.

My own observation - flight attendants always say that in case of emergency, head for the nearest exit. Clearly, that was the wrong move for anyone at the back of the plane, and heading towards the front would have been the correct survival strategy. I wonder if any passengers at the back were confused whether to move to the front or follow the traditional guidelines. It was a very quickly developing situation.