PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeing 737 Max Software Fixes Due to Lion Air Crash Delayed
Old 7th May 2019, 12:34
737 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cows getting bigger

Whilst I'm at it, trim runaways. In non-MCAS aircraft, how likely was a trim runaway, how often did it happen and, if it ever did, how often was it successfully handled? Ask the same questions of an MCAS aircraft. My point is that if you increase the likelihood of an event (trim runaway) you are also increasing the likelihood that your last line of defence (pilots) may get it wrong, especially if you don't reinforce specific training. MCAS increased the risk of a catastrophic trim runaway and where was the training? The statistics, if ever divulged, will be interesting.
A quick search of the ASRS database returns three reports of runaway trim on 737's. The search engine is a bit fiddly, so there may be more in there. Also, ASRS would only have a report if it was voluntarily submitted by the aircrew. I believe the FAA maintains a more comprehensive database, but I have not seen any reporting from them.