PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 11:31
jantar99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a genuine report of a surviving passenger in one of Russian web forums. It is compiled into one post here (still in Russian).

My translation:
Hi all, I was a passenger on this flight. A couple of explanations:
- ppl with suitcases are from business class. Their bags were not large and didn't impede anyone.
- there was no jam [of passengers]. One woman fell down in the aisle, she was quickly lifted up and pushed out.
- behind the 12th row almost nobody sirvived [one survivor climbed the chairs alongside standing ppl, he's in hospital - translator's comment] - you could've noticed no slides at the back. Did'nt deploy. And even if they did, there was scorching heat. Most of them died in a moment.
- oxigen masks didn't deploy. At most 3-4 on the right side.
- FF and other emergency services arrived quickly. But even if late, there was nobody to rescue.
- despite overall mess and lack of coordination, all casualties were attended to, supported, given food and there was even vodka - just one bottle, but at least smth
As for how quickly the AC burns, I didn't expect that it birns like a plastic cup. Momentarily. Windows in my row [12 a,c - two seats on theleft side] melted even before we stopped
As for survival - there was a moment of luck and no panic. Breathe in the black smoke once and one wouldn't get up. Given there is no visibility, nobody will go to rescue him - can't see him. Impossible to breathe.
There were no full-face masks on the plane or they couldn't be found.
It's remarkable that the LG almost dampened the blow. It was jolty but not critically. In fact almost all pax sat until the AC stopped. At least those whom I saw from my row.
Smone wrote that ppl might not have been fastened and lost consciousness from the blow - ther was not such a blow. All was tolerable. And I don't think that seatbelts in a plane prevent you from heating the front seat with your head.
Author's seats:

Row 12 seat A, my wife C [she survived]
I was the last one to leave [below he explains he crouched then crawled], there were no ppl behind me from aft rows
I can't explain why almost all behind row 12 died, I can guess. First, they might hurry to the nearest exit - aft ones. Second, they might burn in the flame from the wing. Those in front rows who didn't make it - carbon monoxide. Breathe in twice and you're done.
There's a lot more in Russian. This translation ends just before the phrase

По поводу того, руководили ли бортпроводники: