PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2019, 10:52
rcsa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In truth, I find this collective outrage about pax exiting with their belongings rather odd. Everyone who travels regularly knows that checking in a bag is a form of roulette. Maybe it will come round the carousel at the other end, maybe it won't. Maybe it will be broken open, maybe it will go to Burkina Faso, maybe it will just be smashed up. No one likes to come off a long flight only to stand by the carousel for an hour waiting for a suitcase to be unloaded.

So everyone carries the essentials with them as hand luggage. For me, 'essentials' is ideally what I can live on for a week - clothes, gym kit, a spare pair of shoes, wash bag, laptop and associated electronics, etc etc.

As long as the airlines let me board with 12kg + in a trolley bag, of course I will try to do that. But I fly 50 - 100 legs a year, so I reckon one day I'll be in an accident, and I have evolved a few little habits. I travel in a jacket, which I keep on during take off and landing, with my phone, wallet, and passports in the jacket. I also keep my shoes on for take off and landing, and try to sit as close to the front as I can. I keep back-ups of my laptop in three different locations, and anyway of course most of the key info is sync'd to my phone.

I like to think, therefore, that I wouldn't try to grab my trolley bag on the way out in an emergency. But I know many fellow passengers would, so I also visualise how it will be to knee 'em in the nethers and smack 'em in the head with my elbows as I clamber over them and their bags on the way to the exit. Any violent act is easier if you've already thought it through in advance.

As many have noted above, airlines would rather you carried hand luggage than check bags in - it's cheaper and makes for faster turn-around times. Airlines are no more likely to use scary safety videos than are car manufacturers or gun manufacturers - despite cars and guns killing a thousand times more people in the US every year than aircraft do. So pax will carry hand luggage, and pax will try to take hand luggage with them when they exit - in an emergency or not.

Short version - when push comes to shove, you better be prepared to push and shove harder than the next man.