PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 18:40
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Would it be too much to ask that those who wish to endlessly discuss passenger evacuation - with or without bags - start their own, dedicated thread? This happens every ing time there is a crash with an evacuation - and the discussion never changes. Those of us who simply want to discuss the accident and the where/why/how end up having to sort through dozens or even hundreds of posts about people evacuating with their carry-on bags...
Now, back to your regularly schedule program
I'm not sure comparisons to BA38 are particularly apt - that was basically a normal touchdown that happened to occur short of the runway with the gear coming off because they sank in the mud - not the high G vertical hit that this appears to have been.
If we assume that a lightning strike did take out multiple electrical systems, this is really worrisome. As I posted earlier, lightning is designed for and the technologies involved are fairly mature. While it can do localized damage at the attach/detach points, it should never take down essential or critical electrical systems. Further, even with FBW and FADEC common place since the mid 1980s, I can't think of a single case where a lightning strike did take down such a system.
This could point to a build quality issue (lightning protection is highly dependent on the integrity of bonding and grounding - a single high resistance electrical connection (and we're talking mili-ohms here) can ruin a systems lightning protection. Maintaining those low resistance bonds on aging aircraft is a big concern - but the Superjet hasn't been around long enough for that to be a likely issue.
Or, it could point to a problem with the existing standards, in which thousands of in-service aircraft could be at risk.